JSON based API to query available AMIs

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 01:28:12PM -0800, Eric Hammond wrote:
> There is no single place that people go to find AMI ids, and there
> are dozens of ways that people run AMIs on EC2 once they find the
> ids.

Thanks for your feedback, and let me repeat here what I mentioned
yesterday on IRC: thanks a lot for your work on providing Debian AMI in
the past. I've always appreciated it and I'd be glad if you'd join this
list sharing your experience and/or your code (as, in fact, you've just
done :-)).

> You need to make sure you are putting the official AMI ids in as
> many places as you can including:
>
>   - The official Debian web site

That is planned.  But it is also a bit of chicken-n-egg. We need to
define what is the authoritative source for the current AMI ids; once we
have that we can publish the info in a number of places.

>   - EC2 Quick Start list on AWS console

This is on the table too: see the last exchange between me and James on
the matter. I was hoping that was quicker/easier to obtain, we'll see…

>   - AWS Marketplace (I doubt this is popular yet)

Done.

>   - A machine-queriable API that returns the latest AMI ids

The JSON format you mentioned looks reasonable. However, this brings us
back to the infrastructure question: we'll need to host a corresponding
CGI (or whatever it is that implements the query service) somewhere.
Where?

Alioth comes to mind, as we can host CGIs there
http://wiki.debian.org/Alioth/Web

Is that argument enough to convince people who were concerned about
using Alioth to do so? Of course having Alioth does not imply that
people will _have to_ use it for package hosting too, but once we have
the project I guess it will _probably_ happen.

>   - Other places that show up when people search for them on Google
>
> Since I published a series of popular Debian community AMIs back in
> 2008-2010, my web site Alestic.com became known as the place to find
> the AMI ids.
>
> Alestic.com still shows up towards the top of Google searches like
> [debian ec2] and [debian ami] and [official debian amis] even though
> I don't say "Debian" except to point folks to the current community
> AMI page.

Right, and thanks for pointing to
http://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image from your page.

> If Debian provides a query API with the latest AMIs, I'd be happy to
> list them on Alestic.com so folks looking for them can find and run
> them.

Thanks for the offer! Let's see where we go with the hosting discussion
and then we'll get back to you about this. In the meantime it would be
nice if you could point to the above wiki page *before* selecting an
entry from the Ubuntu AMI drop down. I suspect that people ending up on
your page when looking for "debian ami" will search for "debian" in the
page as the first thing, and right now that gives no result. Obviously
this is no big deal, if it's annoying for you to implement never mind,
we can delay this to when the query service is ready.

> A lot of experience releasing AMIs has gone into creating this
> definition, so I'd recommend adopting this standard if you can.

Out of curiosity: do you know of any other distro who has implemented it
already? If not, it might be worth to advertise the format on some
cross-distro mailing list, like <distributions@lists.freedesktop.org>.

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .