Re: Fwd: Registering ebs-snapshot with euca2ools

On Tue, Nov 13, 2012 at 04:43:00PM +0100, "Steffen Möller" wrote:
> > I don't need the tools on the image we are creating.
> But if folks cannot recreate something with Debian, then this is non-free.

Let's not go down that path; strictly speaking, the above is not true.

Here everything is free and available in Debian, just not in the right
version. And you really don't want to go down the path "all of the
Debian infrastructure should be packaged, for Debian to be free", as a
large number of Debian infrastructure parts (that we use to build, say,
media images or the archive itself) are *not* packaged. That is bad per
se, but does not make Debian something that could not be build using
only free tools.

Bottom lines:

- It would be nice to have the euca2ools backport, thank you for
  volunteering preparing it! Please keep us posted about your progress.

- It would be nice to have Anders' toolchain tool packaged in Debian.
  The version of it that will be packaged will clearly use only stuff
  that is in Debian, rather than downloading from GitHub. Resulting in a
  perfectly suitable package for main.  Any volunteers to package anders
  tool?

Cheers.
Debian Project Leader . . . . . . @zack on identi.ca . . o o o . . . o .