Re: 'Official' Vagrant baseboxes

would there be technical obstacles to use debian-installer with preseeding instead of veewee ?

Actually, veewee already uses debian-installer. By default, to the best of my knowledge, veewee does the following:

 * downloads & verifies an iso image
 * installs using a preseed.cfg
 * runs a series of shell scripts to:
   * set up a sudoers file
   * set up the 'vagrant' user
   * configure grub for fast booting
   * 'manually' install VirtualBox Guest additions, along with some temporary dependencies
   * install Ruby gems from source
   * install Puppet and Chef from gems
   * clean up, so as to minimize the basebox footprint

All of these are configurable in 'definitions'. We'll probably need to maintain at least four (4) of these for stable/oldstable and i386/amd64. Possibly more, if we want to maintain hurd or freebsd kernels...

I think the first steps will be to move as much as possible into the preseed.cfg (e.g., puppet and chef installs), and investigate why the packaged VirtualBox Guest additions don't work.

Cheers, C

Christopher Gervais  :|:  Principal,  Ergon Logic Enterprises
514.945.6442  :|:  christopher.gervais@ergonlogic.com

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 5:27 AM, Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
Le Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 04:28:35PM -0500, Christopher Gervais a écrit :

> The preferred tool for creating baseboxes is veewee (
> http://github.com/jedi4ever/veewee). There is already an open ITP (
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658863:) for it, and since
> it's published as a Ruby Gem, it should be pretty trivial to package it.

Hi Christopher,

just out of curiosity, would there be technical obstacles to use
debian-installer with preseeding instead of veewee ?

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Illkirch-Graffenstaden, France