'Official' Vagrant baseboxes

Hello all,

For those who may not yet be familiar with Vagrant (http://vagrantup.com), it essentially allows building local clouds for development and testing purposes. Vagrant currently provides command-line tools for interacting efficiently with Virtualbox, but work is under way to extend it to VMware, and kvm.

The equivalent to AMIs in Vagrant are "baseboxes". There is a popular site for sharing these, http://www.vagrantbox.es/, where you'll find several Debian-based baseboxes, including some that I've been maintaining. However, I'd really like to see 'official' Debian Vagrant baseboxes.

The preferred tool for creating baseboxes is veewee (http://github.com/jedi4ever/veewee). There is already an open ITP (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=658863:) for it, and since it's published as a Ruby Gem, it should be pretty trivial to package it.

I recently pushed some changes to fix support for building Wheezy in veewee (https://github.com/jedi4ever/veewee/pull/452), but I'd suggest we maintain our own definitions/templates, as the standard in veewee is to install Ruby Gems from source, and then Puppet and Chef as gems, rather than using the native Debian packages.

Anyway, if there's interest in this, I'd be happy to do the work. But I'd need help in how and where to share this effectively.

Regards, C

Christopher Gervais  :|:  Principal,  Ergon Logic Enterprises
514.945.6442  :|:  christopher.gervais@ergonlogic.com