Re: Some question about Sound Card and code page 936

Anthony Fok wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 05, 2000 at 06:13:42PM +0800, Ben Luo wrote:
> > I am so sorry email you directly. But my smtp.etang.com said can not
> > send my email to debian-chinese@lists.debian.org. So I have to send you.
>
> No problem.  Could you tell me the error message that you encountered?

Debian Chinese is quite strict on free email providers in
China. (.yeah.net and this etang.com all banned. BTW .yeah.net
is not banned in debian-devel@...)

> > > I have a problem about Sound Card. From /var/log/dmesg, kernel know my
> > > sound card, but when I type "cat /dev/sndstat" it display like attachment.
> > > Why?

If you want to test your sound card, use
$ cat some.au >/dev/audio (or similiar? ;-)
That will give you some sound... like Linus grumbling.. ;-)

> > > Another problem is codepage? 936 seem not to work. I "ls *",? some
> > > files' name are chinese in vfat file system, the? file display ???? or
> > > ??????, not chinese. Why?
>
> You need something like this in /etc/fstab:
>
> /dev/hda7   /dosd  vfat  noauto,user,codepage=936,iocharset=cp936   0   0

May probablly re-configure your kernel too..