Re: why need to run locatedb again after reboot

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 10:56:01AM +0800, Wan Hing Wah wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, zhaoway wrote:
> > Wan Hing Wah wrote:
> > > when I run locatedb to create a database...,when I reboot my computer..
> > > the database seem lost and I need to recreate the database again..
> > > what happen?I seem can't see any code in cron.d that cause it...
> > Are you talking updatedb?
> > I think with anacron installed with Debian you don't
> > need to run updatedb manually as with Red Hat.
> > (I know Mandrake now use anacron instead of std cron,
> > haven't touched RH for quite some time.)
> >
> but seem the database always delete after i reboot

Hmm... that's weird... I haven't run into this problem myself.
However, I do know that anacron may want to rebuild your updatedb when
you restart your computer if it has been over a day since anacron was
activated (?).  If you hear your computer hard drive working like crazy
about 10 minutes or so after you rebooted, that's why.  :-)

I don't know if something is erasing your  /var/lib/locate/locatedb
everytime you shutdown or restart.  You might want to check the scripts
in /etc/init.d/* or /etc/rc.boot to see if anything is removing your
/var/lib/locate/locatedb file.

Hope this helps.  Please let us know of your progress.

Warm Regards,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada