From: Tung-Han Hsieh <thhsieh@linux.org.tw>
To: hashao <hashao@china.com>
Date: Sunday, June 13, 1999, 10:10:48 AM
Subject: Add Chinese Locale in Debian?

On Sat, Jun 12, 1999 at 04:49:45PM +0800, hashao wrote:
> Hello debian-chinese,
>
>   Would some of you debian developers help the maintainer of locale to include the
> Chinese locale into potato? T. H. Hsieh had a package for building
> both Big5 and GB locale at http://xcin.linux.org.tw . I was intent to
> file a bug entrey on that matter. Then I noted that the about homepage is all in
> Chinese (Big5). So some Chinese developer has to help out for this.
> The package works smoothly out of box.

Hello,

Should we need an English version of the article about how to setup
the zh_TW.Big5/zh_CN.GB2312 locale? If yes, I will traslate my article
in the URL "http://xcin.linux.org.tw/files/i18n_tool.html"; into English.

Is this enough?

> Without a proper Chinese locale, Xcin 2.5+ won't work (right?). I am also
Right.

> working on a wrapper based on locale. And it will be much cool in long
> term if we can have Chinese locales packaged as soon as possible.
> I really don't want to see next release of debian get no Chinese
> locale supports.
>
> BTW: other than compile the locale data in, one also want to add some
> more aliases in the /usr/share/locale/locale.alias and
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/locale/locale.alias . At least for GB code, there
> should be:
> zh_CN.GB2312
> zh_CN
> zh_CN.eucCN
> chinese-gb (This one is used in xemacs with mule supported and really
> a bad hack).
>
> For Big5, there at least be:
> zh_TW.big5
> chinese-big5

Probably add the "zh_TW.BIG5".

BTW, I have suggested to commit the zh_TW.Big5 locale data into GNU glibc
future releases. Recently I got the following reply: