Re: chinese characters in windows xp to debian

This is what I have in my locales

eXiStEnCe:~# cat /etc/locale.gen
en_US ISO-8859-1

en_GB ISO-8859-1
en_GB.ISO-8859-15 ISO-8859-15
en_GB.UTF-8 UTF-8
en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
ja_JP.EUC-JP EUC-JP
ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8
ko_KR.EUC-KR EUC-KR
ko_KR.UTF-8 UTF-8
th_TH TIS-620
th_TH.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_CN GB2312
zh_CN.GB18030 GB18030
zh_CN.GBK GBK
zh_CN.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_HK BIG5-HKSCS
zh_HK.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_SG GB2312
zh_SG.GBK GBK
zh_SG.UTF-8 UTF-8
zh_TW BIG5
zh_TW.EUC-TW EUC-TW
zh_TW.UTF-8 UTF-8

Am not sure what else I have missed.

Regards,

KwangErn

On 8/4/06, William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> wrote:
"KE Liew" <ke.liew@gmail.com> writes:

> I transfered using winscp. I've tried to rar, zip and tar it, but
> still not possible to keep the encodings correctly. another way i've
> tried is to transfer it to my usb stick, then mount it on my debian
> (with no special mount options except for -t vfat), and still can't
> display the characters.

i guess it's a charset issue. The songs transferred from Windows have a
different charset(which possibly is 'gbk, for chinese) from your linux
system's charset. What's the locale in linux? (Run, $ locale)

--
William

<doogie> dpkg has bugs?  no way!