Re: chinese characters in windows xp to debian

On Friday 04 August 2006 23:52, KE Liew wrote:
> This is what I have in my locales
>
> eXiStEnCe:~# cat /etc/locale.gen

No, that's not what he meant...
if you run the command 'locale' in your terminal window, what does it
print?

Mine looks like this:
arne@taoyuan:~$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
arne@taoyuan:~$

Then the next question is: what flavor of WindowsXP do you have the
files from? Is it simplified chinese (PRC) or traditional chinese (HK,
TW) or the international version (US-english)?

(if I may guess, your name looks like Cantonese writing, so I suppose
you are from HK... ergo, my guess is your filenames are either in Big5,
or in UTF-8 but your system locale is not...)

do you have your windows on the same machine (dual boot)? or is it on a
seperate machine?

if the partition is on the same machine, try to set your system locale
to a UTF-8 one and mount your windows partition with the 'utf8'
option...
mount -o utf8 -t vfat

if it is on a seperate machine, try to share the drive and connect via
smbclient over the network:
smbclient //hostname/share -U useraccount

then use 'ls' or 'dir' to list the directory contents... are the
characters displayed correctly?

Cheers
Arne
--