Re: Debian package for SCIM

Hi,
You can change the package format freely. How ever changing the content of the binary files shipped within the package is not allowed.

Regards
James Su

Ming Hua wrote:
On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 11:25:07AM +0800, Kyle Zu wrote:

the point we violate suzhe's copying is change scim-chinese from rpm
format to deb format.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about specific license terms
instead of the general copyright issue.  In that case --

Yes I will violate the license and infringe James Su's copyright if I
change the rpm format to deb format.  However that's not necessary.  I
can just redistribute the rpm package, use postinst (or preinst?)
scripts to extract it, and copy the files to proper places.  I can even
make a package this way for some software that doesn't allow
redistribution -- just download the original distributed package from
Internet during the installation, and my package will consist of the
extracting and installing package only.  If this sounds unfamilar to
you, please have a look at the package msttcorefonts.

so if suzhe permits we change its format to deb, it's
legal to do it. I hope this...

It seems that James Su has given the permission to repackage
scim-chinese, though.  So it was quite pointless to discuss the
packaging details. :-(

Thanks,
Ming
2004.03.01

We used to think that if we know one, we know two, because one and one are
two.  We are finding that we must learn a great deal more about ``and''.
                                                  --- Sir Arthur Eddington