Re: xfs-xtt not showing Chinese

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 07:19:36PM -0500, frank_hu@excite.com wrote:
> I have searched the archive and didn't find anything. I doubt that I'm
> the only one who has the problem. I'm using SID. When I use xfs-xtt as
> the font server, Chinese from *some* websites can't be displayed, e.g.
> www.chinatex.org. The Chinese characters in the bookmarks can't be
> displayed, either. The characters are all shown as a sign like a
> flipped "L".

I have never used xfs-xtt (I used xtt in old 4.1.0 days, but switched
ever since).  I am using xft and freetype on my sid machine with TTF
fonts, and all Chinese characters are displayed correctly.

The Chinese TTF fonts from Arphic which comes with Debian should work
fine, but Simsun (comes with Windows) is indeed prettier.

> Xfs can howoever display Chinese for every site I tried.
> But xfs doesn't understand TT hints too well and the font is *ugly*.

If I remember correctly, xfs stands for X fonts server, which should has
nothing to do with font rendering.  If you use freetype, you can still
use xfs.

Hope this helps,
Ming
2004.02.17

Wireless telegraph is not difficult to understand.  The ordinary telegraph
is like a very long cat.  You pull the tail in New York, and it meows in
Los Angeles.  The wireless is the same, only without the cat.
                                                       --- Albert Einstein