Re: xfs-xtt not showing Chinese

--- On Tue 02/17, Ming Hua < minghua@rice.edu > wrote:
>From: Ming Hua [mailto: minghua@rice.edu]
>To: frank_hu@excite.com
>Cc: debian-chinese-gb@lists.debian.orgDate: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 19:16:03 -0600
>Subject: Re: xfs-xtt not showing Chinese
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 07:19:36PM -0500, frank_hu@excite.com wrote:
>> I have searched the archive and didn't find anything. I doubt that I'm
>> the only one who has the problem. I'm using SID. When I use xfs-xtt as
>> the font server, Chinese from *some* websites can't be displayed, e.g.
>> www.chinatex.org. The Chinese characters in the bookmarks can't be
>> displayed, either. The characters are all shown as a sign like a
>> flipped "L".
> > Xfs can howoever display Chinese for every site I tried.
>> But xfs doesn't understand TT hints too well and the font is *ugly*.

>If I remember correctly, xfs stands for X fonts server, which should has
>nothing to do with font rendering. If you use freetype, you can still
>use xfs.

Does xfs rely on freetype to rasterize TT fonts and then serve to X? In fact, if I choose
between the xtt module and freetype module come with XFree86 and don't use font servers
at all, I have the same problem. I.e., xtt provides better rendering but doesn't show Chinese
in every scenario. Xfs shows Chinese characters correctly, but not pretty.

Frank

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com