Re: Three problems with Chinput

Stefan,

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 Stefan Baums wrote :
> Thanks for your reply!

You are welcome, I wish my answer was more helpful.

> In some respects, xterm is more completely i18n-ised than all
> other terminal emulators.  It is the only one, e.g., that gets
> combining diacritics right, and it can certainly display Chinese
> characters (and other Unicode) just fine.  It should also work
> with XIMs, and in fact it does: using chinput, I can enter Chinese
> all right - it's just eating unnecessary CPU cycles, as described,
> and when I have more than one xterm, the focus-flicker bug makes
> the XIM unusable.  This is most definitely a bug rather than a
> missing feature.  I am using konsole for the time being, but
> konsole has redraw problems when it encounters Cyrillic, accented
> Latin, Chinese etc., getting glyph widths wrong and scattering the
> screen with artifacts.

I didn't know that xterm was so capable. Could you post your
xterm command line to display Chinese? I used xterm -fn hanzigb16fs
under zh_CN locale, all I got was an unusable terminal. My experience
was that Eterm works very well if not combining with SCIM, rxvt
works also good with almost all Chinese XIMs. gnome-terminal works
great if you want AA fonts.

> Chinput does not have any config files under either /etc/ or ~/,
> nor does it have a manpage.  The documentation under
> /usr/share/doc/chinput/ is in Chinese except for README.Debian.gz,
> which does not help.

I am sorry, I must have mixed the package content with xcin's. xcin does
have a config file under /etc/. I went through the docs of chinput
in /usr/share/doc/chinput. They are not very useful. I think rebinding
the keys for IM activation can only be done with modifying source
code for chinput. You might want to check out mini-chinput, it might
have the key binding feature.

> I don't like the fact that SCIM's pinyin module is non-free, and
> that SCIM seems to be more of a moving target, under heavy
> development.

Neither did I like it. But considering the difference on input speed,
I had no choice. :-( Hopefully, in near feature Chinese input can
get a breakthrough, possibly by voice, or handwriting, then all
those troubles of XIMs go away.

-Min

--
Rapid keystrokes and painless deletions often leave a writer satisfied with
work that is merely competent.