Re: KDE 3.0 and released languages

Hello Thomas,
On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 09:55:51PM +0100, Thomas Diehl wrote:
> Well, this is up to Dirk to decide. KDE 3.0 is about to go to the
> packagers.
>
> But even if we still have a chance to include traditional Chinese (I
> very much hope so): Please also sort out those deadline problems with
> your Linux user group once and for all now. Like you said: We had the
> same situation back in 2.2. Why do we have the same problem in the very
> next release? Is nobody of the user group folks reading the release
> plans, the announcements on the lists, and the stats on i18n.kde.org?
> And what's up with the zh_TW maintainer?

Thank you for your message.  We'll try and get it up-to-date ASAP.
You did point out some problems though:  There hasn't been a well-organized,
on-going effort for translating traditional Chinese messages like
that of the simplified Chinese team at  http://i18n.linux.net.cn/
(and I am glad that Wang Jian and others have led that effort very well.)

And I guess there are not many active developers in the TLUG, and the HKLUG
community is very small; active Linux developers are even less. And I would
have missed your message too if I weren't subscribed to the list (because I
do some KDE packaging for Thiz Linux.  :-) But yes, you're right that this
does need to be addressed.  There have been efforts to coordinate
Linux projects in Taiwan and in Hong Kong, but it'll take some time.

Kenduest might have been too busy?  I don't know.  He has been
instrumental in coordinating the zh_TW translation for KDE-2.2.2
though.

BTW, what is the minimal criteria in getting zh_TW back?  Would it be enough
if we could get kdelibs.po and desktop.po 90% translated, and kdesktop 75%
translated?  I have just downloaded kde-i18n-zh_{CN,TW}.tar.bz2 and I'll see
how much I can borrow from the CN team.  :-)

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling