Re: arphic ttf fonts under mozilla/netscape

On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 01:56:07AM +1100, Shao Zhang wrote:
> After trying out the xtt module intead of freetype, it now seems working.
> Anyone care to explain to me the different between xtt and freetype modules?

Yu Guanghui has mentioned in his excellent Debian Chinese FAQ that the "xtt"
module should be used for XFree86-4.x.

I posted my experiment with the "freetype" module, because theoretical both
should work, and it did.  See:

	http://lists.debian.org/debian-chinese-big5-0012/msg00480.html

I would not recommend though because it currently doesn't do poor-man's
bold, and also the xfonts-arphic-* packages are all designed to work with
"xtt" instead of "freetype" module.

What are the exact differences?

  * xtt (X-TT) is written in Japan.
  * "freetype" (xfsft) is written in Europe.
  * Here, "freetype" is a misnomer.  Both X-TT and xfsft that was merged
    into XF4.0.2 uses FreeType 1 as the backend.
  * Both have excellent support of just about all TrueType fonts
    (of all different kinds of language) that you can find.
  * Arguably, xtt still has better support for CJK fonts, especially
    poor-man's bold, which the freetype module doesn't do.
  * Font entries format are different for both types, and they can't
    coexist.  Hmm...

Read my previous posting (the URL listed above).

Happy Chinese New Year!

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada