Re: [Q] How to set up sound?

On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 08:45:37PM +0200, wnghsi004@mail.uct.ac.za wrote:

> Could anyone please tell me how to set up sound in Debian?
> I did get a prompt (during install) for detecting my sound card,
> I think. (I'm using Creative VIBRA)
>
> But I still can't get sound. Is there anything I need to set up?
> The HOWTO says I have to recompile my kernel...... >_<

You might be able to use alsa without recompile the kernel,
I don't know. It is a sound blaster 16 compatible card.
there are:
alsa-modules-2.2.17 - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (drivers)
alsa-modules-2.2.19 - Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (drivers)

and a bunch of modules for 2.4.3 kernels

> Oh and something funny about X Window: my screen
> (the whole screen) shakes all the time...but it doesn't do
> that in MS-Windows. I've checked my scanline settings and
> modes, they're all fine.
>
> I installed from Deb CD (Dec 2000), so I suppose I'm using
> XFree86 3. Would it solve the problem to upgrade to 4?
> (I'm using NVidia Riva128ZX)

Don't know here.

--
Best regard