Re: Is there a de facto standard Chinese PostScript font name?

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, rigel wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 03:34:50PM +0800, Cosmos wrote:
> >
> > 	I have make a demo for this, using FreeType.
> >
> > 	http://www.cis.nctu.edu.tw/~gis88564/test.ps
>
> That's exactly what I meant. Look your file. It maybe trivia to you, but
> it's highly unlikely an average programmer capable of embedding such
> thing in his/her application. So I still think providing some API is a better
> idea. Type 3 font is occasionally needed for maximum portability. By providing

 That's great if have such library. But previous discuss is convert a
 TrueType font into Type3 font.  This job is the maintainer's job, not
 every programmer's job.  No matter this job is trivial or non-trivial,
 that's the maintainer's bussiness.

> an API, applications are not limited to only use arphic font. Frankly, arphic
> fonts are not enough for publishing purpose and we can not legally convert
> and distribute other fonts.

 But, do we have any other choice?

> > 	With correct configuration, we can use a Type3 as gs provided.
> > 	Within ps file, we can just write as above.
> > /KaiSu-Regular findfont 24 scalefont setfont
> > 100 440 moveto
> > (永abcdf龙) show
>
> Theoretically you can still call it Type3 fonts, but it has defied its own
> purpose. Type3 fonts should be embedded into the documentation for the maximum
> flexibility. If i have to depend gs to use these fonts, I'd rather use
> truetype font directly.

 Although the font file is type3 format, but the user won't see the font
 itself is Type3 or Type1.  Font just a font.  So, don't care font is
 Type3, Type1 or TrueType. Thinking about a type3 font which can
 interpret chinese encoding, what will happen?  we can use any version gs
 to see chinese.  That's great. right?

> BTW, have you compare the size of embedded bitmap and vetorial fonts? My
> guess is that the latter is significantly bigger. If that's the case, I'm
> not sure the trade off is worth it.

 In my experiment, a document embedded with chinese bitmap font will be
 *very very* huge.  When we want to print a 24x24 font, we must provide
 a 96x96 font in document to have a smooth font in paper.  So for differ
 size font, we must have differ size bitmap font.       When a document
 contain a string with big font size, it will be very terrible. I suggest
 you to embedded a scalable font rather then a bitmap font.