Re: Is there a de facto standard Chinese PostScript font name?

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 03:39:22PM +0800, gis88564@cis.nctu.edu.tw wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 01:34:32PM +0800, gis88564@cis.nctu.edu.tw wrote:
> > >  Type 3 can embedded scalable font.
> > >
> > >  Maybe we can convert the public arphicpl font to Type 3, and used it as
> > > de facto chinese ps font.
> > >

> > Font is not a problem in this case. Mr. Yoshihiro Take's GS-CJK can make use of
> > the arphic (or any) ttf fonts for ps printing. It is the postscript font name
> > that is the problem. We want to find a default font name for Chinese postscript
> > font so that PS files created on CLE, Turbolinux chinese, Debian ... can
> > interchanged and printed without problems.
>
> 	I cann't understand what's the problem?
> 	If we have a Font, we will have a font name, too.
> 	With a free available and variant format font,
> 	we can distribute it anywhere.
>
> 	It will likely have a default font name.

The reality is that CLE used a 'Arphic-KaiGB-*' like font name but
arphic fonts has a embeded 'GBZenKai' ps font name. If we cannot agree
on this, it is a bit difficult to migrate files across distro's. Of
cause gs should be able to do some font matching thing to ensure we
can print but if the names are actually 'aphic-kaigb' and 'gbzenkai', I doubt
how good they will match each other. If there is already a standard set of
fontname used in the industry, we can as well use it plus the set of
fontnames specific for the installed fonts. For people want to switch ps
files across platform, they can use the standard fontname only in their
ps files. like you won't use too fancy english font names in a PS file
if it intent to be put on the net and downloaded by others.

--
Best regard
hashao