Re: [DOC] Poorman's Chinese Type1 font for CJK-latex

Hello,
I'm sorry for such late reply. I went to camping last week.

On Sat, May 19, 2001 at 04:01:39PM +0800, Edward G.J. Lee wrote:

>   經更新版本至 0.14h 後已可以正常做出內嵌 TTF 字型的 pdf 檔了!^_^

Yep, that's the bad part of using pdflatex and ttf. It really needs
up-to-date version. Fortunately it's rather easy to just update pdflatex
without affecting the rest of tex tree.

>   現在的問題是,做出來的 pdf 比使用 Type1(via ttf2pt1)的 ps 檔還要大!
>   還要再研究、研究...,讓他不內嵌?

Really? how big? Following are some numbers I got (all in unit of 1000 byte):

                (1)    (2)    (3)    (4)    (5)
GB.tex          42     48     88     60     51
larger file     2026   2353   2332   1232   757

(1) ps  <=  pk+dvips
(2) pdf <=  pk+pdflatex
(3) ps  <= pfb+dvips
(4) pdf <= pfb+pdflatex
(5) pdf <= ttf+pdflatex

As you can see, when size is small, pk font (1 and 2) holds a slight margin
than direct ttf (5), and pfb font (3,4) gives biggest size. As file size
increase, the ones using pk font increase dramatically, the ones using pfb
font now becomes second best, while direct ttf gives a significant smaller
file. So in any case, direct ttf almost always gives the smallest size and
the best quality (at least one of the best).

Of cause, one can create a ps file with pfb font without embedding them,
thus truly small size. That requires all the pfb subfonts visible
to gs. However, given the non existence of font naming standard, I doubt
many people want to do that. As for not embedding ttf font, I'm afraid that
would be very hard to do under current frame. The only hope is that one
day omega project will support cid font.

Anthony Fok wrote:
>   呵呵,這個我昨天晚上試到了!只是沒有垂直字型 (rotate font?),也沒有
> SlantFont ... 除此以外,效果相當不錯。 :-)  另外,請確定你的 pdftex 版本

Yes, there's no support for "slanting". I guess that can be added, not sure.
I do have a question concerning slant font, which has been in my head for a
while. The question is: does traditional (authentic) chinese typography ever
use slant or italic font? My feeling is that they're west only style. Any one
knows? BTW, does any one know a good book on chinese typography?

As for vertical glyph, no support exist either. However I feel it can be
added without much difficulty as long as the ttf font contains a GSUB
table. GSUB is opentype extension, most of the modern Windows ttf fonts
have it. It contains the vertical (rotated glyph) substitutions for
horizontal glyph. Oddly the two gb arphic fonts do not have this table,
while the big5 fonts do.

Regard,
rigel