Re: Chinese KDE on Debian 2.2

Hi,

Thank you for the response. The version of KDE that I have is 1.1.2 and I
downloaded it from http://kde.tdyc.com
I have the correct locale setting, but when I change the language setting to
zh_TW.Big5, from the KDE control center, all the menus will display some
strange characters that I can't read. I don't know if it has to do with
missing fonts, or KDE is just having problem displaying multybyte, or maybe
I need to do some other configuration.

Sonia

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000 14:10:12 -0600, Anthony Fok wrote:

>  On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 11:46:42AM -0700, Sonia Lin wrote:
>  >    Does anyone know how to configure kde, running on Debian 2.2, so
that
>  > it can display menus and messages in big5? Thanks in advance.
>
>  Which version of KDE are you running?  Are you using the one from
>  http://kde.tdyc.com/ ?  And is it 1.1.2, or 2.0 beta?
>
>  To be honest with you, I don't have a clue how to turn on Chinese in KDE
>  because I have never installed KDE.  :-)  Anyhow, something to try is to
>  add the environment variables
>
>  	LANG=zh_TW.Big5
>  	LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5
>  	LC_ALL=zh_TW.Big5
>  	export LANG LC_CTYPE LC_ALL
>
>  to the appropriate file.  If you start your X session and KDE
>  using the file ~/.xsession, you can add it in there, _before_ KDE is
called.
>  Alternatively, if you run "startx" from the command line to start X, then
>  simply ensure you've set and exported these three variables before
running
>  startx.
>
>  Again, I don't know of the i18n and Chinese support status in the KDE
Debian
>  packages, but I hope these tidbits could help.
>
>  Cheers,
>
>  Anthony
>
>  --
>  Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
>  foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada
>  Debian Chinese Project -- http://www.debian.org/international/chinese/
>  Come visit Our Lady of Victory Camp -- http://www.olvc.ab.ca/

Say Bye to Slow Internet!