Re: Chinese KDE on Debian 2.2

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 11:46:42AM -0700, Sonia Lin wrote:
>    Does anyone know how to configure kde, running on Debian 2.2, so that
> it can display menus and messages in big5? Thanks in advance.

Which version of KDE are you running?  Are you using the one from
http://kde.tdyc.com/ ?  And is it 1.1.2, or 2.0 beta?

To be honest with you, I don't have a clue how to turn on Chinese in KDE
because I have never installed KDE.  :-)  Anyhow, something to try is to
add the environment variables

	LANG=zh_TW.Big5
	LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5
	LC_ALL=zh_TW.Big5
	export LANG LC_CTYPE LC_ALL

to the appropriate file.  If you start your X session and KDE
using the file ~/.xsession, you can add it in there, _before_ KDE is called.
Alternatively, if you run "startx" from the command line to start X, then
simply ensure you've set and exported these three variables before running
startx.

Again, I don't know of the i18n and Chinese support status in the KDE Debian
packages, but I hope these tidbits could help.

Cheers,

Anthony

--
Anthony Fok Tung-Ling                Civil and Environmental Engineering
foka@ualberta.ca, foka@debian.org    University of Alberta, Canada