Re: locale-zh

Oops, I just realized that I completely ignored GB2312 in my last mail ...
sorry to all.

And is it true that all software sold in the PRC must support GBK as of
next year?

On Thu, Nov 16, 2000 at 11:30:40PM +0800, Yu Guanghui wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 01:29:23AM +1100, Roger So wrote:
>      I dont know about big5 and hkscs, but I know XF4.0.1 with xtt module
>      can work under gb2312. So I think xfonts-arphic-* should depend on
>      xf4.0.1 and xfs-xtt modules, dont need xfs-xtt. I remember somebody
>      said that xf4.0.1 is slower than xf3.3.6+xfs-xtt.

I think it works with big5 too, since from inspection it does come with
the Big5 module.  Oh well ...

And for me at least, XF4 is definitely faster than XF3.3.6 ... but then
I'm using XF4 with xfs-xtt 3.3.6.

Perhaps we should try out the other TrueType engine in XF4 (freetype) as
well?  (BTW this and the xtt module are in both xserver-xfree86 and
xfonts-base)

> >  * Encoding naming conventions.  Currently different spellings of "Big5",
> >    "big5", "BIG5", "big-5" etc etc are all over the place.  We need to
> >    agree on a standard capitalization of this (probably big5), and
> >    see which package(s) are affected.
> >
>      yeah, this is a big problem. I have tried locale alias, but many apps
>      still cant work. I have to make a link (ln -s zh_CN zh_CN.GB2312) by
>      hand.

Same here.  And symlinks IMHO are more ugly than locale.alias ...
I've heard that glibc has changed its locale handling a little since I
last looked at it ...

> > As you can see, there're still a few rough edges ... (what a gross
> > understatement :p)  Let's make this a goal for woody: that a user can
> > work in a totally Chinese environment straight away! :D
>
>   We can do it, I believe Debian will be the best.

I thought it already is. :D

> BTW: Congratulations!! Roger So :)

Thanks!

--
  Roger So                                            telnet://e-fever.org
  spacehunt at e-fever dot org                          SysOp, e-Fever BBS