Re: locale-zh

On Fri, Nov 17, 2000 at 01:29:23AM +1100, Roger So wrote:
>  * the xfonts-arphic-* packages.  As you probably know, XFree86 4 is now
>    in woody, and it has TrueType support built in.  You might want to
>    have a look and see if that can be used instead of xfs-xtt.
>    I haven't looked too much into this yet, as the X-TT module in X4
>    lacks the BIG5HKSCS module :(
     I dont know about big5 and hkscs, but I know XF4.0.1 with xtt module
     can work under gb2312. So I think xfonts-arphic-* should depend on
     xf4.0.1 and xfs-xtt modules, dont need xfs-xtt. I remember somebody
     said that xf4.0.1 is slower than xf3.3.6+xfs-xtt.

>  * Encoding naming conventions.  Currently different spellings of "Big5",
>    "big5", "BIG5", "big-5" etc etc are all over the place.  We need to
>    agree on a standard capitalization of this (probably big5), and
>    see which package(s) are affected.

     yeah, this is a big problem. I have tried locale alias, but many apps
     still cant work. I have to make a link (ln -s zh_CN zh_CN.GB2312) by
     hand.

>  * See what prevents a user from using Chinese right away after a fresh
>    install of/upgrade to woody.
>
>  * hmm .. that's all I can think of right now...
>
> As you can see, there're still a few rough edges ... (what a gross
> understatement :p)  Let's make this a goal for woody: that a user can
> work in a totally Chinese environment straight away! :D

  We can do it, I believe Debian will be the best.

BTW: Congratulations!! Roger So :)
						Yu Guanghui