Re: sha256 checksums

Hi,

Wdstudios@protonmail.ch wrote:
> This may come as a shock to you but files without file extensions are not
> very useful. What am I supposed to open them with? Powerpoint? Daemon Tools?

The checksum files like
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/SHA256SUMS
are plain text files encoded in ASCII.
You may open them online with your web browser or offline by a text editor.

If you want to give them extensions, i'd propose .txt. But i am living in
MS-free environment since 30 years. So you might want to ask some experts
for MS-Windows for advice.

The signature files of the checksum files, like
  https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/amd64/iso-dvd/SHA256SUMS.sign
are to be used by program "gpg".
  gpg --keyserver keyring.debian.org --verify SHA512SUMS.sign SHA512SUMS
(How to do this on MS-Windows is beyond my knowledge.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas