Re: have a mate-desktop CD was Re: magnet links and pushing them to meta-search engines.

.<snipped all>

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for sharing the info. I probably will try to get a couple of
usb sticks next week for work and probably will also try to see how
rufus responds and if possible get in touch with Pete Batard to take
the discussion forward.

I found it pretty disconcerting especially for students or for that
matter anybody who wants
to take the plunge into Debian and get stuck like that.

I also perhaps failed to mention that rufus tried to install syslinux
instead of grub2 which at least to me feels more convenient and
friendly but that's a discussion outside of this purview.

During a discussion with Steve Mcntyre during debconf 2016, he had
shared about both the unrealiability of the usb drives themselves as
well as the data so now always use shasums to make sure the data
stream is correct.

This https://www.debian.org/CD/faq/#write-usb I had already done
before. I used the built-in
certutil and Get-FileHash on MS-Windows powershell to make sure the
sum was correct.

Now that I'm on Debian GNU/Linux did as I had copied the same on one
of my usb disks, the .iso image which I just transferred to the hdd.

shirish@debian:~/games$ ./check_debian_iso SHA1SUMS
debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso
Piping 331776 blocks of 'debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso'
through 'sha1sum'
to verify checksum list item 'debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso'.
331776+0 records in
331776+0 records out
679477248 bytes (679 MB, 648 MiB) copied, 1.35603 s, 501 MB/s
Ok: 'debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso' matches
'debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso' in 'SHA1SUMS'

although trying to do the same with /dev/sdb or /dev/sdb1 results in -

shirish@debian:~/games$ ./check_debian_iso SHA1SUMS
debian-buster-DI-alpha2-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso /dev/sdb
Does not look like an ISO 9660 filesystem: '/dev/sdb' magic='  '

That's the usb key/thumb drive on which debian iso image is done by unetbootin.

Although it appears to have worked though as was able to get a working
Debian GNU/Linux system at the end, was able to get updates, get the
net working and so on and so forth.

FTR, I could have used cp or dd but that would have been only if I had
taken my lappy that day. It should not be a requirement that we should
have a debian laptop because in real-world scenarios many people not
might have access to an installation nor should they require one,
although do agree it's handy if it's there.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल