Re: Timeline for official Debian cloud images for the Stretch release

On Wed, Mar 30, 2016 at 2:55 AM Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> wrote:
Thomas Goirand wrote:
>On 03/25/2016 11:31 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>  * 3rd September: Requirements agreed for a test suite for cloud images
>>
>>    To make sure that the images we're producing are sane with
>>    reasonable quality, we'll be running tests on them. We'll need to
>>    agree what should be tested (and how!).
>
>I have a full functional test suite in place for OpenStack, on my own
>CI. Though having it ported to the Debian infrastructure will be a lot
>of work.

Cool!

>I can invest time in such a work, though how do I get the needed
>resources. It will require at least a VM with 8 GB of RAM, and it'd be
>even best if it was on bare metal (so it'd go faster to install and run).

IME it's much easier to automate using VMs if possible, but I'm open
to being convinced otherwise.

>For the CI which I'm using currently, I'm using Debian Live, booted over
>PXE, so that just a reset is enough to "redeploy" a fresh Jessie. Would
>the DSA provide that?

We could do something like that quite readily, I hope. Neil Williams
has already started setting up a Debian instance of LAVA [1] which is
designed to do exactly this kind of thing! See lave.debian.net if
you're interested.

[1] https://wiki.linaro.org/LAVA

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                steve@einval.com
"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out

Hi there

> One thing *I* would love to see is a clear guide to the different
> cloud images that we could/should be providing

I can help with that :-)
bootstrap-vz is used for the official gce, ec2 and I think oracle (or will be used, not sure) images.
There are quite a few packages added to get the gce images working: optional ones from the manifest (but part of the official image) and mandatory ones
ec2 images are pretty basic: manifest herepackages here
oracle images are the same: manifest here, packages here

Keep in mind that those are only the packages that are explicitly added, the cloud_init plugin adds the cloud-init packages of course (ntp plugin adds ntp), and most of the images use grub for booting.
There are quite a few more places where some packages may be added: All in all the list should be: locales, sudo, openssh-server and isc-dhcp-{client,common}

> I'm naively hoping that this kind of doc is already available and I
> just haven't found it, but more realistically I'm expecting not... :-)

Sorry, no :-/
But it would be a great idea to create a wikipage where all those deviations from standard debootstrap are documented!
Luckily the architecture of bootstrap-vz works in a way where you have small tasks that do one thing only (with descriptions to boot!).
When running `./bootstrap-vz --dry-run manifests/official/ec2/ebs-jessie-amd64-hvm.yml --log - --debug`, you get this. You can almost take that log and convert it into a document, it contains the full list of changes to an image :-)
--
Anders Ingemann