Re: new iso download

Sapa Holliday wrote:
Hi I'm sorry to bother you. I have been using other Linux
versions for a couple of years, I have recently upgraded my
elementary os from Luna to Freya which is just no good for me. So
I have searched and evaluated and decided I want Debian gnome
flavour.

I have used BitTorrent to download
debian-live-8.2.0-amd64-gnome-desktop.iso and I used the md5sum
to get a checksum of 0f3ec5bde4d3bb67ee44ecf862bce071 which
doesn't seem to be on any of the lists I've found so far by
searching which isn't good, I want an authentic distro

I can't find anywhere to verify this checksum or any place to
direct my (elementary) terminal to look to verify it. I'd be less
concerned if it hadn't been a torrent download.

When I've downloaded other iso's in the past I downloaded a
checksum file, or a link to one, to use in terminal to verify. Is
there somewhere to do this for this distro?

Yours hopefully

Sapa

Short answer:
  it checks ;)

Longer answers:
  How can you check?
Start at http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/ having 2 relevant links 8.2.0-live/ [http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0-live/] current-live/ [http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current-live/]

[I point this out in case you are not familiar with Debian's pattern of referencing releases. You could refer to "Current" or "Jessie" or "8.0.2", the later being the least ambiguous.]

     Following the 1st link
iso-hybrid/ [http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/]
     tells all.

  How did I get there?
I couldn't remember the link but I did recall how things were laid out.
     My Google search term (with the quotation marks was:
          "debian-live-8.2.0-amd64-gnome-desktop" site:debian.org

As the first hit had "current" URL, I followed its directory tree back to an absolute rather than relative reference. For future reference I suggest bookmarking the to of the tree -- http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/ .