Re: experiences with debian amd64 EFI test CD, build 3

On Tue, Sep 04, 2012 at 09:19:58PM +0200, Carolin Latze wrote:
>Hi Steve,

Hi Carolin,

>ok, I was partly able to reproduce my last setup. The good news is,
>it was really partly my fault.

OK. :-)

>Back to what happened: my original system (win/debian) runs on a
>500GB HD. At the very beginning, I installed Win7 as UEFI and debian
>as MBR since I was not aware that I even have an UEFI board
>(... :-)). Before I thought about reinstalling Debian (and before I
>discovered the EFI CDs) I tried to fix that by running a lot of
>commands ( I really don't know anymore which ), that created a
>grubx64.efi on the existing EFI boot partition. That did not help
>(grub would not show up) so I reinstalled Debian using the EFI CDs
>and ... got the error "no EFI boot partition found". Since that PC is
>not mine, I fear to reinstall Debian there for the moment. But I
>guess all those commands I tried to get grub running at first, could
>have caused that error later (since I changed some files on the
>original EFI boot partition)

Right.

>That is why I tried to install the same setup on a spare 2TB HD. As I
>mentioned, this does not work since the Debian installer stops
>working after I choose an option like "text mode installer",
>"graphical mode installer", "text mode rescue". No matter which
>option I choose, the CD stops spinning and nothing happens. I cannot
>even pull a log at this moment, so I fear I cannot provide more debug
>information here (or is there another way?) Is there hope that the
>installer will work with 2TB HDs soon?

Oh. I expect it to already, in fact. That sounds like a grub or kernel
bug on your hardware, to be honest. Can you try adding "debug" to the
kernel command line before you boot? (hit 'e' to edit at the grub
menu).

>So I tried with a spare 250GB HD: fresh Win, fresh Debian. The
>installer is able to detect the Win EFI boot partition and installs
>grub into that partition. However grub will not detect the Win OS. I
>still have to create that grub script to add the Win entry to the
>grub menu. I guess this is a grub problem rather than a problem of
>that installer?

Yes, I think so. I don't know how well the grub-probe code will cope
with Win EFI at the moment.

>Sooo I guess the only way to reproduce that error is to go back to
>the original PC and ask if I can reinstall Debian there. However I am
>not sure that is of help since I guess (or hope) that most of the
>people won't start messing around with the EFI boot partition and try
>install a proper system afterwards :) ?

I'd hope so :-) One of the issues with EFI so far is that it's still a
bit fragile I think...

"...In the UNIX world, people tend to interpret `non-technical user'
 as meaning someone who's only ever written one device driver." -- Daniel Pead