Re: Wheezy release: CDs are not big enough any more...

On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 12:40:55PM -0500, Peter Samuelson wrote:

>[Steve McIntyre]
>> (http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/ch04s03.html.en)
>
>While it is refreshing to see "cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX" instead of
>the usual dd nonsense (it seems there's an extremely widespread myth
>that you need to use dd any time you're reading or writing block
>devices), I think "cp" is even more straightforward.  Bonus: you can
>easily run it with sudo.  ("sudo cat debian.iso > /dev/sdX" does not
>do what a novice might think.)

You *can* do that, yes. The major win with dd onto a raw device is
that you can specify the block size. For most USB sticks, using a
block size of 4MB or so is going to be *much* faster than using the
default for dd (512 bytes) or cp (10 KB IIRC). cat using the shell
redirection is often going to be using a small size (1 page?).

Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.