Re: Becoming an official mirror?

Mattias Wadenstein (maswan@acc.umu.se) wrote on 2 August 2010 17:17:
 >On Mon, 2 Aug 2010, Carlos Carvalho wrote:
 >
 >> Mattias Wadenstein (maswan@acc.umu.se) wrote on 2 August 2010 11:27:
 >> >I have on occasion done explicit http redirects when the cdimage.d.o
 >> >mirror has gotten swamped, but lately there hasn't been all that much of
 >> >that.
 >>
 >> On the contrary, the last point release was *extremelely* slow to
 >> pull. It took days to get the live images.
 >
 >For rsync traffic, yes, which I mentioned in the part in that paragraph
 >that you cut away. Unfortunately rsync does not understand http-redirects
 >though, so there isn't all that much to do about it.

Sure there is: tiering. rsync access should be restricted to the
official country mirrors like it's done with the syncproxies. It
should be very easy to do because there is already a private module
with authentication that mirrors [should] use. You could just disable
the public one.

It'd also be possible to send a page to http requesters telling them
to go to a country mirror. However, since http is already redirected
to the backends, it's probably not necessary.