Re: Becoming an official mirror?

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Carsten Otto wrote:

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 06:57:05PM +0200, Xavier Oswald wrote:
Im not sure about what you mean here..

Then let me explain in more detail.

Our mirror ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de is listed at
http://www.debian.org/CD/http-ftp/. However, I know that many users do
not care about mirrors but instead just take the first (official)
mirror.

Since we have a lot of spare bandwidth, we'd like to pitch in here. For
that, we'd like you to add our server to the HTTP redirector
behind cdimage.debian.org. Currently, this redirector only redirects to
(a) swedish mirror(s).

We don't have a HTTP redirector pointing to different mirrors. The name cdimage.debian.org is just another name for ftp.acc.umu.se which does do HTTP redirects to particular backends, but it has no idea about staleness etc since it assumes that all the backends have equal access to the same shared storage.

I have on occasion done explicit http redirects when the cdimage.d.o mirror has gotten swamped, but lately there hasn't been all that much of that. This will likely happen at the next release though (as opposed to point releases which mostly just generate rsync traffic).

A more clever "download debian" link that chooses a mirror might be a good idea, but that's up to web folks etc.

/Mattias Wadenstein