Re: Getting d-i to find firmware on the CD generated by debian-cd

[Joey Hess]
> The problem with making hw-detect look in pool/ is that it does not know
> what debs contain firmware. It assumes there will not be too many debs
> in the places it looks, and so it examines them all, unpacking them to
> find ones that contain the firmware files. If it also looked in pool/,
> it would unpack every deb on the CD, which would be horribly slow.

Right.  Perhaps hw-detect should be told?  A mechanism like the ones
used by iceweasel plugins, adding information to the packages, might
work.  For example the gnash plugin contain this info:

  Xb-Npp-Applications: ec8030f7-c20a-464f-9b0e-13a3a9e97384,92650c4d-4b8e-4d2a-b7eb-24ecf4f6b63a,aa5ca914-c309-495d-91cf-3141bbb04115
  Xb-Npp-MimeType: application/x-shockwave-flash
  Xb-Npp-Name: Gnash SWF Player

Why not add the name of the firmware file included in the deb using a
similar mechanism, and teach hw-detect to search for it?

> That source package does not contain all available firmware, FWIW.
> You're missing at least zd1211-firmware and
> atmel-firmware. debian-cd has a list in tasks/firmware.

Thank you.  I'll try to make sure we include the complete list on the
Debian Edu CD and DVD. :)

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen