Re: Local Hook Definitions

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 08:04:09AM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
>On Fri, 02 Oct 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>> >1.  I want to reserve space on the first image for the the
>> >boot/installation system.  boot-floppies (shudder).
>> > RESERVE_BLOCKS_HOOK
>>
>> Right, OK. That should be easy enough. You can calculate how much
>> space they'll take.
>
>It is the syntax I can't cope with.  I see that the hook points to a
>file/script, but what is its structure?  O for SIZELIMIT${CD}, it hacked
>beautifully.

It might have done, but it was a total PITA to support reliably.
Trying to get CDs and DVDs close to full without going over could take
forever when we were doing releases. And multi-arch discs were just
not possible with the old layout code. Sorry... Using the new hook
script shouldn't be much more difficult - you could just use the
fourth parameter ($CDDIR) as a lookup into a table of sizes you've
already calculated somewhere.

>> >2.  To remove packages from the first image which are included in the
>> >installation tarball (the sexy name is baseGNU.tgz) DISC_FINISH_HOOK
>>
>> Ah, now that's a little more thorny. I'd think the easiest way would
>> be to extend debian-cd a little and add support for another hook to
>> list packages that are (essentially) already installed in the image by
>> other means. Then make_disc_trees.pl and friends will simply not
>> include those packages when working through the list they
>> need. Dependencies will be satisfied, etc.
>>
>> Does that sound like a sane way to go for you?
>
>A grep -v loop on ../sid/packages (or is it packages.hurd-i386) and go out
>for lunch.

OK. If this sounds like a good way to go, the code should be quite
easy.

"Because heaters aren't purple!" -- Catherine Pitt