Re: Local Hook Definitions

On Fri, Oct 02, 2009 at 12:25:07AM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
>On Thu, 01 Oct 2009, you wrote:
>> On Thu, Oct 01, 2009 at 10:28:26PM +1300, Philip Charles wrote:
>> >I can't get my head round Local Hook Definitions in debian-cd's
>> > CONF.sh, in particular RESERVED_BLOCKS_HOOK.  If someone would give
>> > me a working example I would be grateful.
>>
>> Hi Phil!
>>
>> It seems you're the first person to ask about the hooks since I added
>> them in debian-cd nearly three years ago. For that hook, you need to
>> print the number of 2K blocks that you want to reserve on a given CD
>> so that debian-cd will leave the space for you when it is calculating
>> what will fit. I *believe* it works, but I don't still have the stuff
>> I tested with back then.
>>
>> What are you trying to do? I might be able to help...
>>
>Greetings Steve,
>
>I have been reinfected with the Hurd bug and it is itching.

:-)

>Confession.  Up to now I have been hacking scripts to do Hurdish things
>with debian-cd, but now I have reformed and wish to use the hooks.

OK, cool.

>1.  I want to reserve space on the first image for the the
>boot/installation system.  boot-floppies (shudder). RESERVE_BLOCKS_HOOK

Right, OK. That should be easy enough. You can calculate how much
space they'll take.

>2.  To remove packages from the first image which are included in the
>installation tarball (the sexy name is baseGNU.tgz) DISC_FINISH_HOOK

Ah, now that's a little more thorny. I'd think the easiest way would
be to extend debian-cd a little and add support for another hook to
list packages that are (essentially) already installed in the image by
other means. Then make_disc_trees.pl and friends will simply not
include those packages when working through the list they
need. Dependencies will be satisfied, etc.

Does that sound like a sane way to go for you?

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html