Re: Local Hook Definitions

On Fri, 02 Oct 2009, Steve McIntyre wrote:

> >> Hi Phil!
> >>
> >> It seems you're the first person to ask about the hooks since I
> >> added them in debian-cd nearly three years ago. For that hook, you
> >> need to print the number of 2K blocks that you want to reserve on a
> >> given CD so that debian-cd will leave the space for you when it is
> >> calculating what will fit. I *believe* it works, but I don't still
> >> have the stuff I tested with back then.
> >>
> >> What are you trying to do? I might be able to help...
> >
> >Greetings Steve,
> >
> >I have been reinfected with the Hurd bug and it is itching.
> >
> :-)
> :
> >Confession.  Up to now I have been hacking scripts to do Hurdish
> > things with debian-cd, but now I have reformed and wish to use the
> > hooks.
>
> OK, cool.
>
> >1.  I want to reserve space on the first image for the the
> >boot/installation system.  boot-floppies (shudder).
> > RESERVE_BLOCKS_HOOK
>
> Right, OK. That should be easy enough. You can calculate how much
> space they'll take.

It is the syntax I can't cope with.  I see that the hook points to a
file/script, but what is its structure?  O for SIZELIMIT${CD}, it hacked
beautifully.

> >2.  To remove packages from the first image which are included in the
> >installation tarball (the sexy name is baseGNU.tgz) DISC_FINISH_HOOK
>
> Ah, now that's a little more thorny. I'd think the easiest way would
> be to extend debian-cd a little and add support for another hook to
> list packages that are (essentially) already installed in the image by
> other means. Then make_disc_trees.pl and friends will simply not
> include those packages when working through the list they
> need. Dependencies will be satisfied, etc.
>
> Does that sound like a sane way to go for you?

A grep -v loop on ../sid/packages (or is it packages.hurd-i386) and go out
for lunch.

Thanks.

Phil.

   +64 3 488 2818        Fax +64 3 488 2875        Mobile 027 663 4453
   philipc@copyleft.co.nz - personal.    info@copyleft.co.nz - business