Re: brltty: does this really need to depend on libicu?

For the debian-boot list: see [1] for the start of this thread.

On Thursday 23 October 2008, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > And if brltty only needs a fraction of its functionality, then I
> > think it should be reconsidered whether libicu really isn't the right
> > solution for it.
>
> ICU is definitely the way recommanded by unicode.org.

OK. In that case I think the only realistic thing to do here is to drop
brltty from the netinst image. It will of course be kept on full CDs.

I think that is acceptable given the following considerations:
- the brltty deb is installed in finish-install
- the netinst is intended to always be used with a mirror
- if a mirror is available, brltty will continue too be installed without
  any problems
- IMO doing a netinst installation without using a mirror makes no sense
  for visually handicapped users as it only really makes sense for testing
  and for deliberate absolute minimal installs

Given the above I think that keeping a 5MB dependency for something that's
needed only in exceptional cases by a very small group of users is not
worth it.

I would suggest adding a dialog in the brltty-udeb finish-install script
to warn users if the deb was not installed correctly, but given the above
I don't think having that dialog is a requirement before we could drop
the package from netinst images.

Unless there are strong arguments against this proposed change, I will
commit it in a few days.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2008/10/msg00013.html