Re: Release notes availability in official Etch CD/DVDs? (and translations?)

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:03:11PM +0100, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I would like to know if the Release Notes are currently being included in the
>generated CDs and, if not, wether we want this to change for etch.

Hi Javier,

At the moment, no. The OMIT_RELEASE_NOTES setting is turned on, which
means that the release notes are left off and instead we have a
message saying "The Release Notes for "etch" are available on the
Debian web site."

We *definitely* want this to change. :-)

>Right now, from a cursory glance at debian-cd's sources, it seems that
>Release Notes are not included (OMIT_RELEASE_NOTES is defined for 'etch')
>and, actually, debian-cd sets a location WWW for release notes
>(http://www.debian.org/releases/$CODENAME/release-notes-$arch.tar.gz) and
>a location at the mirrors ($(MIRROR)/debian/dists/$CODENAME/main/Release)
>which are NOT currently available.
>
>It is my impression that (based on master's logs [1] and some local tests
>that):
>
>- the latest versions of the release notes are being published at
>  www.debian.org
>- these versions are not being published using Master's DDP CVS task, but
>  some other task (which one?), actually the DDP CVS main Makefile does not
>  include the releas enotes
>- no tar.gz files are being provided
>- local build of PDF files does not work (at least for Japapenese)

I have no idea about these bits... :-)

>Last time this was discussed [2], Frans and Steve worked on getting the
>Release Notes on the first CDs (english+translations) and managed to do that
>for Sarge, what is the current status? And, what's more important, what do we
>need to coordinate and have Release Notes available in Etch's CDs DVDs?

Yup, Frans and I co-ordinated getting the release notes in for
sarge. The point of the code for grabbing them from www.debian.org was
to allow us to pick them up as late as possible, without the need to
wait for packages in the archive to update etc. I'm hoping/expecting
to be able to do similar this time. It's now a case of getting text
finalised, translated and placed on www.d.o as before. At least,
that's from my point of view. Anybody else?

>Notice that the answer impacts deadlines we might give to translators. If
>they have to have their translations ready for the DVDs ISO generation we
>have to sync all tasks (RN editing, translation and DVD bulds) for the
>release.

Yup, understood.

Is there anybody out there?