Re: too many CD ISOs

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007, Richard Atterer wrote:

On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 09:02:07AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
Reason: it's much more effective for them when users download an ISO than
when they use jigdo. For example the ftp.fr.debian.org admin explained me
that they were limited by the disk seek and not by the bandwith used by
the users.

That's interesting - I hadn't heard of this kind of problem before! :-/
Jigdo is really designed for the "no bandwidth" and/or "no disc space"
case. But this is not a common opinion among mirror operators, or is it??

Well, a jigdo-build against our debian mirror will use slightly more bandwidth and much more resources than a iso download. Of course, a jigdo download using another debian mirror would be a big win.

/Mattias Wadenstein