Re: Still no AMD 3.1r4 images available

Hi Alan,

I'm not sure what the problem is in this specific case, but I can comment
on jigdo's behaviour. rsync access to the images is possible, see below.

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 02:02:49PM -0800, travelosopher wrote:
> http://debian.oregonstate.edu/debian/pool/main/g/gtkdiskfree/gtkdi
> skfree_1.9.3-4sarge1_amd64.deb
>         =>
> `debian-31r4-amd64-binary-1.iso.tmpdir/debian.oregonstate.edu/debi
> an/pool/main/g/gtkdiskfree/gtkdiskfree_1.9.3-4sarge1_amd64.deb'
> Resolving debian.oregonstate.edu... 64.50.236.52, 64.50.238.52
> Connecting to debian.oregonstate.edu[64.50.236.52]:80... connected.
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found

The problematic file cannot be found on the main Debian mirror you chose.
This is OK, it's bound to happen with a couple of files especially for
testing/unstable images. The reason is that on a certain day the .iso
images are made, but on the next day a couple of packages are updated with
new versions in testing, so the old versions (whose URLs are referenced by
the ISO's .jigdo file) are deleted from regular Debian servers.

> 1 files not found in previous pass, trying
> alternative download locations:
>
> --01:19:01--
> http://amd64-cdsnap.debian.net/cdimage/snapshot-amd64/Debian/pool/
> main/g/gtkdiskfree/gtkdiskfree_1.9.3-4sarge1_amd64.deb
[...]
> `debian-31r4-amd64-binary-1.iso.tmpdir/amd64-cdsnap.debi
> an.net/cdimage/snapshot-amd64/Debian/pool/main/g/gtkdiskfree/gtkdiskfree_1.9.3-4
> sarge1_amd64.deb' saved [90738/90738]

File downloaded OK from Steve's backup mirror. This was set up to still
contain all packages in the .iso even if the regular Debian mirrors no
longer have it...

> Found 0 of the 1 files required by the template

...but apparently has the wrong md5sum! This should not happen. :-/

> The following is specified by the
> debian-31r4-amd64-binary-1.jigdo.unpacked file:
>
>  v7GHb6Mx8a6csCmMKP_kxQ=Debian:pool/main/g/
> gtkdiskfree/gtkdiskfree_1.9.3-4sarge1_amd64.deb

I just downloaded the file from amd64-cdsnap.debian.net, and the actual
md5sum is t8hRKRH5UWeIZycyV1vRJw (output by "jigdo-file md5 <filename>").

Unfortunately snapshot.debian.net, which is a good resource when hunting
for old package versions, does not have amd64 packages, so I cannot test
whether its version would have made an improvement.

> These are the contents of the primary and back-up servers, showing that
> the back-up, amd64-cdsnap.debian.net does have the sought after file,
> gtkdiskfree_1.9.3-4sarge1_amd64.deb:
[...]

The right file is there in the list, but this won't help as apparently its
content has changed, or some other problem occurred... :-/

> -rw-rw-r--       91028 2006/08/18 09:02:27
> gtkdiskfree_1.9.3-6_amd64.deb

> I don't understand how the copy is failing given the console output.
> Would it be possible to point jigdo-lite at the needed file on my local
> system and finish things up that way, and if so how?

It would be possible if you _had_ the right file, the one with the md5sum
of "v7GHb6Mx8a6csCmMKP_kxQ", by specifying a directory at the "files to
scan" prompt which contains that file.

What you /can/ do is to just write the .iso.tmp file to CD-R as you would
the finished .iso. On the resulting CD, the gtkdiskfree package's content
would be all zero bytes, so any attempt to install that package will fail
with an error message. Otherwise, the CD ought to be perfectly usable!

> I believe that if I can find a valid iso image somewhere, I would just be
> able to try rsync but the last time I checked, the AMD64 image is not
> official so is not on the http/ftp mirrors.

Check again, isn't this what you're looking for? ;-)
rsync://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/sarge-amd64/iso-cd/
Use "rsync -B 8192 -P ..." for better speed. :)

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯