Re: how do I make a jigdo

Hi Carl,

some documentation about creating .jigdo files is available in the
jigdo-file manpage. In particular, to get started you might want to have a
look at the examples section - see
<http://atterer.net/jigdo/jigdo-file.html#EXAMPLES>

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:09:03PM -0600, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Part of my current "project" is to learn about jigdo, so even if it isn't
> a good fit, I want to use it anyway just to get a grip on it.
>
> Here is my current project: Josh made an v1.iso, I downloaded the image.
> Josh made some changes and made v2.iso.  the source files can be put on a
> web server.
>
> So currently there is /v1, /v2, v1.iso and v2.iso on the "server" side
> and /v1 and v1.iso on the client side.
>
> I have remote access to Josh's box, I told Josh I would figure this out.

First, for jigdo's purposes, there's only one image to worry about: v2.iso!
When you actually try to download v2.iso using jigdo-lite, you can supply
the contents of v1.iso as "files to scan" and jigdo-lite will figure out
automatically which parts to reuse.

So, to make v2.iso available via jigdo, the first example from the manpage
examples can be adapted. I'll assume that /v2 is available as
http://josh.org/v2 :-)

Logged in on Josh's machine, execute "jigdo-file make-template" with the
following arguments:

--image=v2.iso  to supply the input filename. jigdo-file will automatically
deduce the output filenames "v2.jigdo" and "v2.template" from that.

/v2//  Spelled exactly like this with a double slash, this tells jigdo-file
to 1) scan through /v2 for files which might be contained in v2.iso, and 2)
if such a file is found, "cut off" the pathname at the double slash. Try
a different placement of the // (e.g. /longer/path//to/v2) to see the
effect on the contents of the output .jigdo file.

--label Josh=/v2  assigns the name "Josh" to the data beneath /v2. If this
were left out, the boring default name "A" would be used.

--uri Josh=http://josh.org/v2/  assigns the URL to the name "Josh". The
boring default output in the .jigdo file would be a file:// URL, which of
course wouldn't work for a remote download.

Instead of using --label and --uri, you could also edit the .jigdo file
manually after generation.

While playing around with jigdo-file, -0 and --force might be handy. -0
turns off compression, which will make jigdo-file faster, and --force
forces overwriting of output files which already exist.

Furthermore, throw in a --cache=~/jigdo.db switch to cache file md5sums.
This will speed things up a lot after the first run of jigdo-file.

Cheers,

  Richard

--
  __   _
  |_) /|  Richard Atterer     |  GnuPG key: 888354F7
  | \/¯|  http://atterer.net  |  08A9 7B7D 3D13 3EF2 3D25  D157 79E6 F6DC 8883 54F7
  ¯ '` ¯