Re: how do I make a jigdo

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 12:09:03PM -0600, Carl Karsten wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:52:35AM -0600, Carl Karsten wrote:
>>>I am trying to figure out how to make .jigdo files.  All the docs I found
>>>were how to use a .jigdo to make an .iso - I need the other side.
>>
>>It's a rather more involved process. What are you starting with, an
>>iso image or a set of files that you're making into an iso image?
>>

>both.  Part of my current "project" is to learn about jigdo, so even if it
>isn't a good fit, I want to use it anyway just to get a grip on it.
>
>Here is my current project: Josh made an v1.iso, I downloaded the image.
>Josh made some changes and made v2.iso.  the source files can be put on a
>web server.
>
>So currently there is /v1, /v2, v1.iso and v2.iso on the "server" side and
>/v1 and v1.iso on the client side.
>
>I have remote access to Josh's box, I told Josh I would figure this out.

OK. There are currently two ways to make a jigdo; both involve a fair
amount of work up-front calculating md5sums of the files in your
image:

  1. The original method (mkisofs feeding the jigdo-file program)

     a. Generate a list of the files in the image in their source location
     b. Make your ISO image as normal with mkisofs
     c. Run "jigdo-file make-template <options>". The jigdo-file man
        page might help, or look in an old debian-cd package (within
        the Makefile) if you'd like examples

  You can feed the ISO image into jigdo-file via a pipe if you don't
  need the ISO image itself when you're finished. Be aware: this whole
  process can be very time-consuming while jigdo-file works out
  exactly what files are in the image and their locations.

  2. The newer method (patched mkisofs to output jigdo files
     directly). Examples here are in current testing/svn versions of
     debian-cd; the patched mkisofs is in etch.

     a. Generate a list of files and their md5sums (see
        tools/grab_md5)
     b. Make your ISO image as normal with mkisofs, adding on a few
        extra command-line options (-jigdo-jigdo -jigdo-template
        -jigdo-map -jigdo-exclude -md5-list) - see tools/make_image
     c. (Optionally) cleanup the output .jigdo file (see
        tools/jigdo_cleanup)

  The patched mkisofs is _much_ _much_ faster than using jigdo-file,
  as it doesn't have to do brute-force work to get back from the ISO
  image to a list of files. BUT it's less flexible than
  jigdo-file. For the purposes of Debian CD production the speedup is
  a big win.

The output from either process should produce working jigdo files;
Richard (jigdo-file) and I (mkisofs patches) have tested
cross-compatibility to make sure of this.

If you have any problems, please shout! There's also a jigdo mailing
list at jigdo-user@lists.berlios.de...

"Every time you use Tcl, God kills a kitten." -- Malcolm Ray