Re: Multi-arch CDs!

On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 01:18:17AM +0000, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>I've made a lot of progress over the last couple of days, and I'm now
>happy I can build working multi-arch CDs and DVDs using my development
>branch of debian-cd. \o/
>
>I've also tested the new code at building single-arch discs, and they
>still seem to work too! \o/
>
>My plan for now looks like:

> 3) After that, I'm planning on merging my debian-cd development
>    branch onto svn head and doing some aggressive test building to
>    make sure it all still works.

I'm now at this stage. I've merged my new code onto head and fixed a
few issues. I'm now doing test builds on farbror using this new code,
and fixing/tweaking more minor things as I go.

Dailies since this morning (20061208-01) are now being built using the
new code, and all seems to be going well. I'm testing with full
(weekly) builds now, and making some more small tweaks as I
go. *Please* check these out and report any issues ASAP...

>There are a few reasons to move over to the new code that I think are
>quite compelling:
>
> 1) Multi-arch!!! :-)
> 2) Significantly simplified handling of source discs - source is now
>    (basically) just another arch in terms of how builds are done
> 3) Layout of discs is now much more sensible: I've changed from
>    "estimate CD sizes up front" to "fill each CD until it's full,
>    then start the next one"
> 4) Significant amounts of other cleanup, which make the code easier
>    to work with and maintain and (hopefully) faster too

Unfortunately, initial testing suggests that the build process is
quite a bit slower than the old code. I know why, and I'm working on
improving it again now.

Google-bait:       http://www.debian.org/CD/free-linux-cd
  Debian does NOT ship free CDs. Please do NOT contact the mailing
  lists asking us to send them to you.