Re: About RockRidge

--On January 24, 2006 11:20:54 AM +0800 Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com> wrote:

My purpose using RockRidge is retaining oringal ownership and
permission to solve following problem;

1) use tar, 2) cp does not usually retain permissions, nor ownership properly, it requires appropriate flags.

But the answer you're really looking for is tar.  honest.

I burnt /home/ of a FC3 box on CDs. /home/ was on its own partition.
Then running LFS LiveCD I copied the CDs on a partition of a new HD
which has 6 partitions. I'm prepared to build LFS-->BLFS on the new HD
applying LFS LiveCD as host. Later I discovered all data after
transferred from the CDs onto the partitions became "read only" and
permission changed from User to Root. Now I need to reinstate their
original state, i.e. Write/Read, User, etc. Either I have to do it
manually or to re-burn the data from /home/ of the FC3 box onto the
CDs.

Could you folks on the List please shed me some light. TIA

B.R.
SL