Re: CDs won't boot, give a failed crc, or don't give a menu

On Fri, Dec 02, 2005 at 04:02:33AM -0800, David Liontooth wrote:
>Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>>Hi Dave,
>>
>>Which version of cdrecord are you using, and what kernel? There have
>>been some notable bugs recently that might be the cause of your
>>problem...
>>

>Hi Steve,
>
>The burner happens to be on a box I rarely use and put Ubuntu on, now
>breezy, so the versions are:
>
>cdrecord                4:2.01+01a01-4ubuntu3
>k3b                     0.12.2-0ubuntu2
>2.6.12-9-386
>
>Do these look buggy?

Maybe... With newer kernels, cdrecord can somethimes fail to allocate
buffers for DMA transfers to the drive. If you add "ts=8k" to the
cdrecord command line, does the CD burnt look better?

Also, if you're having problems with install CDs then I'd recommend
verifying md5sums: the whole CD, and maybe the files on it - each CD
should have an md5sum.txt in the root directory.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.