Re: CDs won't boot, give a failed crc, or don't give a menu

Michael Loftis wrote:

> --On December 1, 2005 10:49:01 PM -0800 David Liontooth
> <liontooth@cogweb.net> wrote:
>
>> Greetings --
>>
>> I've just spent a traumatic three hours trying to install Debian on a
>> plain 686. I've installed Debian on a dozen machines before, including
>> this one (it's a reinstall after a possible hacker attack).
>>
>> 1. First attempt: etch beta 1 daily build netinstall
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso
>>
>> -cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
>>
>> Machine boots from CD, I press return to boot (and try expert), but it
>> gives an immediate crc error and freezes
>>
>> 2. Second attempt: etch beta 1 netinstall
>> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/etch_d-i/beta1/i386/iso-cd
>>
>> /debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso
>>
>> Machine boots from CD, I press return and it loads modules -- but
>> produces an endless flow of debconf messages instead of making an
>> installation menu
>

> Well not sure, but it's probably broken, use sarge.

OK, I tried that -- wget
http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/3.1_r0a/i386/iso-cd/debian-31r0a-i386-netinst.iso

Fails. Boots to the welcome screen, I press return, reads the compressed
image, and gives a crc error. On two very different machines. That's my
sixth coaster.

Debian doesn't seem to have a working boot CD anywhere.  I guess I'll do
a debootstrap.

Dave