Re: amd64 sarge installation cds with 2.6.12

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Vincent Hanquez wrote:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2005 at 04:55:36PM -0400, Faheem Mitha wrote:
It seems likely I will soon be needing a Sarge installation CD with
2.6.12. This is because I will want to install Debian (AMD64 port) at work
on a machine with two of the new dual core Opteron processors.

Apparently 2.6.12 supports this architecture properly, while earlier
versions of the kernel do not.

So, I was wondering if anyone had made (or knew of) official or unofficial
Sarge AMD64 installation cds with 2.6.12? If not, I guess I'll have to try
rolling my own.

dual core opterons are supported by all kernels.
my quad dual core works on 2.6.5 and 2.6.11 out of the box.

dual core are exactly like dual cpu. the only 2.6.12 "support" is to show
them correctly in /proc/cpuinfo as part of the same die.

kernels < 2.6.12 will show each core as different cpus. no big deal.

Wow. Finally someone who can give definite info! You are running AMD64 Debian Sarge, right?

So, no kernel hangs or lockups with dual-core processors, then?

My vendor informed me that they has problems with Fedora Core (all versions) so couldn't ship with Fedora preinstalled on the dual-core opteron machine we ordered. So we had to go with SuSE instead. Any idea what kind of problems they might have had?

                                                             Faheem.