Re: Bits from the CD team: plans for debian-cd v3.0

Paul Telford wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Jul 2005, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
> > Why can't you preseed the netboot or monolithic image?
>
> The netboot needs access to the us mirror to download the installer
> components.  I need to be able to control which mirror it points at (both
> because we have multiple local mirrors, and because firewall settings
> often make the primary mirror inaccessible without additional
> configuration).  It's impractical to pass the necessary mirror & network
> preseed settings on the command line because we run out of argument space.
> If there's a way around this that I'm not familiar with, I would be happy
> to learn more.

If you're using sarge and the netboot image you can use initrd
preseeding, but this does require that you remaster the initrd to change
the preseed file inside it rather than adding a preseed file to the CD
image.

As of today's d-i build, the netboot mini isos support preseed/file too,
same as regular CDs.

(FWIW, the etch netboot images also fix the argument space issue, thanks
to > 2.6.8 kernels.)

> The monolithic image (I presume you mean the full 600M iso here) is simply
> too big for our purposes.

He's talking about the monolithic mini iso (about 16 mb), which is not
autobuilt on any architecture released with sarge. I don't consider it a
viable replacement since it has some issues, including needing more
memory than any other d-i image.

--
see shy jo