Re: Bits from the CD team: plans for debian-cd v3.0

Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 06:13:54PM +0200, W. Borgert wrote:
>> Quoting Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>:
>> >   9. Are business card ISOs actually useful? "Testing" versions of the
>> >      bc images are very fragile due to deps on exact versions of
>> >      packages during installation. Unless there are lots of users, we
>> >      may drop them.
>>
>> Yes, business card ISOs are problematic for "Testing", but they
>> are useful for "Stable".  If we drop them for "Testing" we will
>> never have them working when next "Stable" is ready.
>>
>> Also, many people have local (partial) mirrors of Debian, e.g.
>> in a company or in university.  If people create the mirror
>> and download a matching business card ISO, everything is fine.
>
> In what ways are businesscard ISOs useful where netboot (not netinst,
> netboot) ISOs are not?

For mirror scripts to dumb to mirror udebs?
For when the kernel udeb ABI changes.

Thinking about this yet again D-I did (does?) have monolithic.iso
files. Those where like netboot but with all kernel modules included
already. Maybe that would be the most stable and small image.

> --
> Colin Watson                                       [cjwatson@debian.org]

MfG
        Goswin