Re: Dual layer DVD

On Wed, Sep 08, 2004 at 11:24:36PM +0200, Mattias Wadenstein wrote:
>On Wed, 8 Sep 2004, Steve McIntyre wrote:
>
>>What I'd like us to do is create several image sizes for each arch:
>
>Sounds good to me.
>
>> 1 business card image (ISO, maybe jigdo too)
>>
>> 1 netinst image (ISO, maybe jigdo too)
>
>Really, what good would jigdo do here? If you have such slow connection
>that downloading the data directly from a cd mirror would be painful, what
>are the chances that you have an up-to-date debian mirror locally?

Good point.

>> 13 or 14 650 MB CDs (jigdos on the main cdimage site, with some
>> mirrors carrying the full ISOs)
>>
>> 2 4.7 GB DVDs (ditto)
>
>I am expecting to carry one of those on cdimage.d.o for user convenience
>and at least the push-triggered mirrors, right now I'm going for the CDs.
>Any reasons for carrying DVDs instead?

I'd expect many more people to be using DVDs now than used to. In
terms of the split, I don't know what the proportion of CD to DVD
users is. However, I would _definitely_ recommend making the i386 and
src DVDs available at least. DVDs may not be very useful for most
arches, but...

>I'll see if I can dig up some more storage to carry both, I don't have a
>good hardware donor lined up right now though.

What storage do you use at the moment?

>> 1 8.5 GB DL DVD image (probably jigdo only)
>
>Seems resonable, since this would be of interest to vendors mostly from
>what I have seen from the discussion above.

Exactly, yes.

You raise the blade, you make the change... You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane...