Re: Dual layer DVD

On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 02:19:16PM +0100, Steve McIntyre wrote:
> [ Sent to both -release and -cd; please respect the reply-to: -cd ]
>
> There's been quite a lot of discussion lately about releasing sarge on
> dual-layer DVD; it's clearly attractive for CD/DVD vendors to be able
> to sell one disc that covers Debian, and for the end user it's much
> easier to boot and install from a single disc with no
> swapping/flipping needed.

<much useful stuff on sizes snipped>

> We're going to have to start trimming things if we want dual-layer
> DVDs to work for the sarge release. Suggestions?

Already using 2xDVD "testing" images of binaries to install/upgrade
machines at work.  Since almost everybody that will be using a DVD
reader will be using one older than two months old - single sided DVD
is the answer IMHO.  Two DVD's of binary and probably another 2 of source.
That way, it's open for some enterprising packager to double up and
put two disks on each double layer disk as he/she wishes:)

I also had occasion to install a machine from 13 CD's again today: I
even used disk 13 :)  There are a lot more machines around that only
have CD drives: will sarge be 25 disks or some such in CDs once you
include source??

No bloody network access to any external networks at work - the machine
I was attempting to build was an internet machine to provide net connectivity.  I finished a day's work - only to be told they hadn't scheduled the 'phone
line yet to connect it to :(

Just my 0.02 Euro

Andy